“On the third day of Christmas, my true love gave to me three French hens.” – Frederic Austin
In Catholic tradition, celebrating the love and loyalty exhibited in the life of Saint John means feasting. Commonly, folks hold bonfires and invite their friends and loved ones over, emphasizing the importance of community. They even shoot off fireworks as part of the celebration.
We purchased Cornish game hens from Aldi to feed many and celebrate the third day of Christmas: “On the third day of Christmas my true love gave to me three French hens.”
Serving the lightly spiced hens with a Mediterranean farrow salad and an easy hummus dip made for a light, yet filling meal, perfect for a crowd. The meal was inexpensive, and we had leftovers.
Check out this simple recipe, have some friends over, enjoy music celebrating community, and feast!
Ingredients For The Cornish Game Hen
- 1 TBSP Unsalted Butter
- 1 TBSP Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp. Cardamom
- 1/2 tsp. Pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Cumin
- 1/4 tsp. Turmeric
- 1/8 tsp. All Spice
- Salt (To Taste)
- 1 Cornish Game Hen
Instructions For The Cornish Game Hen
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add butter, olive oil, cardamom, pepper, cumin, turmeric, all spice, and salt to a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. Check to see if the butter is melted. If not, continue microwaving in fifteen-second intervals until the butter melts.
- Prepare a baking sheet with a buttered or oiled rack (This will give your bird crispier skin if it is lifted off of the pan.)
- Stir the ingredients in the bowl together, and pour them over your Cornish game hen, rubbing it all over the bird.
- Place the Cornish game hen on your prepared rack and into the preheated oven.
- The bird will need to cook for 30-75 minutes, depending on size. When a meat thermometer inserted into the meatiest part of the bird reads 165 degrees Fahrenheit, your bird is ready to serve.
Ingredients For The Mediterranean Farro Salad (Side Item)
- 1 Cup of Farro
- 2 Cups of Water
- Salt (To Taste)
- 1 Cucumber
- Several Small Tomatoes
- A Hand-full of Feta Cheese
- 2 tsp. Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 tsp. Olive Oil
- 1/2 of a Lemon’s Juice
- More Salt (To Taste)
- Pepper (To Taste)
- Several small mint leaves
Instructions For The Mediterranean Farrow Salad
- Bring 2 cups of water and a little salt to a boil in a large pot.
- Add your farrow, stir, and bring the water down to a low simmer.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes or until the farrow absorbs all of the water.
- Put the Farrow in the refrigerator for several hours to cool down.
- Once the farrow has cooled, chop the cucumbers and tomatoes into small, bite-size pieces and mix into the farrow
- Sprinkle feta, salt, pepper, and mint all over the farrow mixture.
- Pour Red Wine Vinegar and olive oil on your farrow mixture and serve!