Fresh, quality ingredients and outdoor cooking for the community commonly characterize Australian cuisine. It may seem cliche to choose “shrimp on the barbie,” a dish making cameos in nearly every movie generalizing the Australian accent, but the clean and simple ingredients speak for themselves. A dish so delicious deserves all the fame, for it derives the sincerest pleasure.
Serve with white rice and barbecued veggies.
- Fresh prawns, fresh shrimp, or frozen and thawed shrimp or prawns
- 3 lemons
- 1/4 cup of parsley
- 1/4 cup of cilantro
- Green onion (2 sprigs – green part only)
- 3 garlic cloves
- Olive oil (for thinning the marinade – to preference)
- Add the juice of one lemon, parsley, cilantro, green onions, garlic, and a touch of olive oil to the bowl of a food processor. Blend until all ingredients are integrated and pasty/liquidy.
- Marinate your shrimp for 30 minutes-6 hours.
- Before grilling, soak skewers for 5-10 minutes to keep from catching fire on the grill.
- Cut two lemons into small wedges.
- Place several shrimp and a few lemons on each skewer and grill over high heat until the shrimp turn pink.