Photos by: Brodie Porterfield
Article by: Kelley Porterfield
As June rushed in and the summer heat waved over our bodies, our schedules seemed to fill up with late-night activities. We shifted to the timetables of bats and bugs who rest in the swelter of the day and wake to work and play in the cool of night.
In the Porterfield house, our late-night, “rock star” lifestyles lead to slow starts in the morning, easing out of bed to enjoy coffee, and the occasional Bloody Mary.
The cocktail gained the reputation of a hangover cure long ago and has since adorned many-a-brunch table… including ours.
The Ingredients For The Bloody Mary Mix:
- 3 heirloom tomatoes
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 TBSP horseradish sauce
- 1/8 of a small onion
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp. hot sauce
- A dash of celery salt
- Black pepper (to taste)
- Salt (to taste)
The Process For The Bloody Mary Mix:
Add all ingredients to a blender. Blend until ingredients combine and form a smooth texture (or to desired texture).
The Ingredients For 2 Bloody Mary Cocktails:
- 3 oz. vodka
- Ice (to taste)
- Bloody Mary Mix (store bought or homemade)
- 2 lime wedges
- Salt and paprika to rim the glass
- Hot pickled okra, hot sauce, celery and/or garnishes and condiments of your choice.
The Process For 2 Bloody Mary Cocktails:
- Cut a small slit in the middle of your lime wedge. encircle the rim of the glass with your lime wedge.
- Dip the wetted edge of glass into salt and paprika.
- Add ice to the glass.
- Pour vodka and Bloody Mary mix into the glass. Stir.
- Serve with additional garnishes on skewers and hot sauce or other condiments on the side.
You may also enjoy these cocktail recipes: