Photos by: Brodie Porterfield
Recipe by: Kelley Porterfield
African-Inspired Burger Patty:
- 1. 5 oz. shiitake mushrooms
- 2. 10 oz. ground beef
- 3. 5 oz. ground pork
- 4. 1/2 an inch of fresh ginger (peeled and grated)
- 5. The zest of 1 lemon
- 6. 1 1/2 TBSP berbere spice (store-bought or homemade – ingredients below)
- 7. salt (1 tsp or to taste)
- 8. pepper (to taste)
Toppings (optional but suggested):
African Peri-Peri Sauce:
- 1. red chili(s) (African Bird’s eye chilis are traditional, but whatever you find will work. I used one habanero pepper. If you are sensitive to spice, use half of a habanero. Use the Scoville scale to adapt this recipe to other peppers and your spice preference.)
- 2. 1 red bell pepper
- 3. 1/2 of an onion
- 4. 1/2 an inch of ginger (grated)
- 5. juice of 1 lemon
- 6. 1 tomato (core and rough ends removed)
- 7. 1 TBSP of grape seed oil
- 8. 2 cloves of garlic
- 9. 1/4 packed cup of cilantro (use an equal amount of parsley or 1/8 cup of mint or basil if you don’t like cilantro.)
- 1. 2 tsp. paprika
- 2. 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 3. 1/2 tsp. coriander
- 4. 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 5. 1/2 tsp. ginger powder
- 6. 1/2 tsp. salt
- 7. 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 8. 1/4 tsp. Allspice
- 9. a pinch of cinnamon
- 10. a pinch of red pepper of your choice (cayenne pepper or chili powder)
- 11. a pinch of fenugreek powder
- Mix all of the berbere spice ingredients in a bowl. You can skip this step if using store-bought berbere.
- Add all Peri-Peri Sauce ingredients to a blender or food processor. Blend ingredients until smooth and well combined. (The consistency of the sauce should resemble restaurant-style salsa.)
- Cook sauce in a small pot over low heat, occasionally stirring for an hour or until the sauce reaches desired consistency. (You can make this ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator. The sauce tastes great hot or cold.)
- Add mushrooms to a food processor and grind until they resemble the texture of ground beef.
- Gently combine grated mushrooms, beef, pork, grated ginger, lemon zest, berbere spice, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
- Separate your burger mixture into 4 patties.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium/high heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the burger patties to the skillet. Cook for four minutes on one side. Flip the burger, add the mozzarella or wagashi cheese to the top of the burger, and toss the peppers and onions in the skillet (if using). Cook these ingredients for four more minutes.
- When the burgers reach 150 degrees Fahrenheit, remove them from the skillet. Use the skillet to quickly toast the whole wheat buns.
- Position the sauce, burger patties, peppers, and onions between the buns.